CHINESE NEW YEAR & VALENTINE'S DAY

Saturday 17 February 2018

Hello guys! I'm sorry for being MIA for the past few weeks, I was in Korea for almost two weeks, then ever since coming back, I've been trying to adjust to the time difference. I'm still very jetlagged. I fall asleep in the evening and wake up at around 3am, then just stay awake the whole night and the cycle continues. I guess my mind and body hasn't really left Korea yet. Anyway, I'm back to blogging and I will be posting more posts soon!

Here's to wishing you guys a Happy Chinese New Year! ㊗️ 恭喜发财,万事如意,心想事成,狗年好运旺旺来啊!🐶 Huat ahhh!! I really like this year because it's the Dog year, and dogs are my FAVOURITE animal in the whole universe! I could totally see myself growing old surrounded by a house full of doggies! 😍 I'm dying over here watching all the CNY Snapchat and Insta stories posted by people back home in Malaysia. 😭 This is my second year missing out on the festivities and unfortunately it won't be my last. 🙁 I still have one year to go, but next year I will be on my exchange somewhere else in the world, so it will be a new change hopefully. I miss all the delicious food and snacks, and especially the reunions; getting angpows (red packets) is just the cherry on top!

So I had a week off from university due to the Carnival Celebrations in Europe. This week was really filled with events. It started off with Carnival, then Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year! I basically just stayed at home the entire week, mostly in my bed, just chilling and resting. My housemate and I were planning on going somewhere this week, but it was kinda last minute so we thought just taking this week off to rest. You would've seen the zombie Maverlyn if we actually went somewhere. I wish I was still in Korea though, coz I rushed back for just 2 days of classes then it was the holidays again. I could've skipped those classes tbh. 🙃 I really hate how my uni prefers to give us the schedule for our next period only two weeks before, so we can't really plan ahead. Since my friend and I already bought our flight tickets last year, there was nothing much we could do about it.

By the way, I'm still working on my Korea content, I will be posting a blog post and the vlog together. I'm still figuring out how I wanna write the travel post and also finishing up my vlog, any suggestions are more than welcomed! 😃 Just contact me through any of my social media sites by clicking at the icons on the right side of this blog, under "Let's get social". Please be patient guys! 💖

On Chinese New Year Eve, I wanted to cook more than ten dishes like how it's usually done back home, but with only me and my housemate eating, it just wasn't practical. I wanted to spruce things up a little, so I decided to cook the Korean dish - budae jigae (army stew). Justin taught me his recipe when I was in Korea and I loved it! There were some minor adjustments, but I'm glad it turned out really well. My housemate said she really missed eating mussels back in China, so I said I would give it a try to cook it. It was my first time cooking both these dishes. It's so awesome when your best friend is a chef. 😂 When I was cooking the stew, I called up Justin and he taught me step by step. I'm so lucky. ☺️




You could say that Chinese New Year is when I miss home the most, as compared to my birthday, Christmas or any other holidays. I guess this is because I've grown up in a really close family, and I love how all family and friends make it a point to gather together during CNY, no matter how busy everyone is. It just feels like home, warm and loving. Usually in Malaysia, I would have reunion lunch with family from my mom's side, then dinner with my dad's side.

On the first day of CNY, I would first go to my grandma's house (mom's side) to 拜年 (bai nian) coz she lives right behind my house, then I would go to my grandma's house (dad's side) in Jasin. Dinner would usually be in a restaurant. On the second day, I would spend the whole day with my mom's side, and then at night we would have some heavenly steamboat/hotpot. 🤤 I was sad to be missing out on all of that, but my parents did Skype me so I can say hi to everybody. However, I was adamant on at least keeping some traditions alive. I spent my whole morning making some CNY snacks such as the fried spring rolls with sugar, and also making tang yuan (glutinous rice balls) from scratch.





Be safe and enjoy yourselves on this festive season! May your year be filled with love, happiness and everything your heart desires. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs